Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Retro FX

I'm starting up a new project with a couple friends. A tactical multiplayer room breaching game. We're planning on going with a pseudo-retro style, where high detail models have retro pixelated textures. This presents a really interesting and fun challenge for me; How do I make detailed particle effects with a retro pixelated stylization to them?

I've always been a huge fan of arcade game fx. I often reference them as much as I reference modern games, there's a lot you can learn from them. Games like Metal Slug or Raiden had some dazzlingly detailed visuals.


I've only just started establishing the style I want to work in, but I'm already having a lot of fun coming up with interesting ways of making pixelated effects. These are some textures that could potentially be used for a futuristic muzzle flash.


I can't wait until we get further in development. VFX will be a large part of the game so I've got a lot of fun work ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment